St. Peter’s CWL Christian Family Life portfolio is built on informing and showing our support for family, and our community.
Marriage and Family
The following suggestions are worthy of reminding us that support family life as a parish community.
Celebrate special days set aside at St. Peter’s Parish; i.e. National Family Week, Special Masses, Mother’s and Father’s Day, and special anniversaries (St. Peter’s 40th Anniversary).
Support newly engaged and married couples. (Vow renewal)
Encourage participation in marriage courses.
Become a CWL member where marriage and family information/issues are discussed and acted upon.
Sanctity of Life
The euthanasia and assisted suicide keeps resurfacing in our society and continues to need our support. Bishop F.B. Henry, former Calgary Bishop, in his 2013 article entitled “Care at the End of Life” stated: “Good palliative care, that is health care that aims to relieve suffering and improve the quality of living and dying, should be a key goal of all facilities that care for those nearing death.”
Support organizations that spearhead action for change:
St. Peter’s CWL continues to be a leader in the pro-life movement and provides financial support to a number of other ProLife Organizations (see links below).
Days for Life Prayer Vigils – along with other parishioners, CWL members are actively involved in this peaceful, prayerful, lawful and loving public witness to save the lives of our most innocent.
Support Hike for Life actions and efforts.
Foster Child – for over 30 years, St. Peter’s CWL has used the proceeds of its monthly cake raffle to support a foster child; this event has become so successful that we are now able to support 2 children and their families through Chalice.
Our annual “APRIL SHOWERS” supports the Baby Room of the Calgary Interfaith Food Bank, as well as some of our own St.Vincent de Paul families.
We offer our prayers to help those who are looking to discover their vocation in life, give hope to those who are witnesses to God’s work. This ministry is shared by parents, pastors, school chaplains, teachers, counsellors who enjoy the dialogues and interactions with those looking to discover their vocations.
“Do you know what it means to follow Christ”
Prayer Program for our Diocesan Seminarians
The annual Father’s Day Carnation Sale in support of the Diocesan Priests Retirement Fund.
• Calgary ProLife: Educational presentations: Respect for Life (Fetal Development) & Respect for You
• Campaign Life Coalition: Report on all pro-life group activities and lobby the provincial & federal governments
• Catholic Family & Human Rights Institute: Report & advocate at the UN
• Catholic Organization for Life & Family: Co-sponsored by Canadian Bishops & KC – educational pamphlets
• Elizabeth House: Shelter for young women in crisis pregnancies
• Eternal Word Television Network: From USA but containing Canadian & international content
• Forty Days For Life: Twice yearly (Fall & Lent) international 40 day prayer campaigns to end abortions
• Kara Life Program: Helping pregnant & parenting teens remain in Calgary Catholic School system
• Life Site News: Best source for news on life issues which are ignored by the secular media
• National Life Chain: Pro-life rally held the first Sunday in October
• PriestsforLifeCanada: Working to support, inform, & empower Catholic Clergy to build a culture of life
• Project Rachel: Offers post abortion healing
• Salt & Light TV: Canadian Catholic TV – originated after Pope JP’s visit to Toronto
• The Back Porch: TEXT TO SAVE A LIFE
• We Need a Law: Working with government for laws to protect all humans from conception to natural death
The Back Porch is a pregnancy resource centre Edmonton that offers information to women and men considering all of their pregnancy options. The Back Porch is one of the many charities that St Peter’s CWL supports – “allow us to increase prayer at the exact moment when our clients and volunteers need it the most”.